Sunday, February 8, 2015

#1 Tubbs Vs. #2 Cavanaugh

From the Capital Journal
Fresh off his second loss of the season, Wabaunsee’s Riley Tubbs got back on track with a 4-1 win over Rossville’s Alex Cavanaugh in the 126 finals, a showdown of No. 1 vs. No. 2 in 3-2-1 with each owning a win over the other. Tubbs moved up a weight earlier in the week to face unbeaten Colby Johnson of Burlington and dropped a 5-4 decision, but came away knowing the match helped him in the long run.
“I thought I did pretty good against him,” Tubbs said. “It really shows me what I need to work on. It’s nice to find someone who can beat me because it makes me push even harder.”
Tubbs didn’t need extra motivation against Cavanaugh, who beat him earlier this season. After avenging that loss at Holton, Tubbs controlled their third clash, getting the only takedown in the first period. Cavanaugh didn’t score until a late escape.
“It was pretty nerve-wracking at some points, but I had some tough matches just to get there and I know he did too,” Tubbs said. “Once we got into it, I was pretty confident I could do some work and get the win.”

No comments:

Post a Comment