Monday, November 16, 2015

Book On Early Kansas Baseball History

Mark Evberle is writing a book about early Kansas baseball.  He would like old pictures.  If you have pictures of old baseball teams or games,  or even news articles,  I am sure that Mark would like to read or see what you have.  I am sure there is a lot of baseball history around Rossville.   And,  it might make it into Mark's book.


   
Mark Eberle
November 16 at 11:48am
As some of you know, I have been researching the early history of Kansas baseball (1858-1941). Part of this research is about what baseball was like back then from the perspective of the various types of teams: town teams (white males), women’s teams, African American teams, American Indian teams, Mexican American teams, youth & collegiate summer leagues, minor leagues, and major leagues (the teams touring through Kansas). The other part of the research is about the nine historical baseball parks in the state with grandstands constructed before WWII (1924-1940): Rossville, Kinsley, Wichita, Garden City, Chanute, Larned, Junction City, El Dorado, and Hays. 

I submitted a book proposal based on this research to the University Press of Kansas this fall, and it was accepted last week. The manuscript is mostly complete, and I have until March 1, 2016 to finish it. I have visited a few local museums and libraries already, but I will also be searching for a few more old photographs and arranging permissions to include them in the book. After I submit the text, it will undergo reviews, editing, and design that will run through the summer, so the plan is to release the book in March 2017. Most book sales come during the first year, so they want this book to be “fresh” when high schools, summer leagues, and the Royals are gearing up for another baseball season. 

If you have any questions, interest, or knowledge (or know someone who does) about any of the subjects listed above or any of the old ballparks in Kansas, please feel free to contact me. I check my e-mail regularly (meberle@fhsu.edu). The book is 16 months away, but I am happy to provide information in the meantime. I have already shared information about some of the old ballparks with people who are working to maintain them. I hope we don't lose any more of these historical structures. Kansas has some of the best in the country. Best regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment