Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Undefeated Kendra Hurla Ready For State

From the Capital-Journal.



Rossville sophomore wrestler Kendra Hurla is off to a fantastic defense of her 120-pound state title she won as a freshman after going 5-0 on Saturday at the Rossville Invitational while wrestling a class up at 126.

Hurla came into Saturday with a 9-0 record and nine first-period pins.

She won by fall over Santa Fe Trail's Savana Hook, Chandler Lill and Hayden's Rachel Burrough's in the first three rounds, won a decision over teammate wrestler Keera Lacock in the fourth round and won by injury default over McClouth's Leighanna Patz in the final round.

Looking back on her journey so far on Friday before the Invitational, Hurla said she didn't envision being where she is today, an undefeated sophomore defending a state title.

"Going back to eighth grade, I thought I'd be a pretty good wrestler," said Hurla. "I never really thought of states. It's odd saying, but I didn't think I'd be here a sophomore year, maybe junior or senior year. It's really crazy, especially some of the teachers I have saying, 'What’s up, state champ?' It's like, 'Oh that did happen,' It's crazy. I'm proud of it."

Wrestling is in her blood

Hurla has been around wrestling her whole life.

Her dad, Chris, and his brothers wrestled in high school, and he's coached kids club for a long time in the area. All three of her older brothers wrestled, too.

Hurla and her brothers all started around the age of 4.

"My brothers all wrestled at home," said Hurla. "It felt natural for me starting at a young age."

 After she stopped wrestling as she got older to play volleyball, she was still around the sport, going to her brother's high school tournaments and matches and said she loved watching.

That led to her becoming a team manager in seventh grade.

"I looked up to the guys on the high school team," said Hurla. "Being a manager made me miss (wrestling)."

Horgan is a close friend of the Hurla family.

"I had a couple of girl wrestlers, (Kendra) would come to practice," said Horgan. "And two to three times a week I'd grab her and say, 'Hey Kendra, show her this,' always keeping her involved. Eighth grade, I talked her into wrestling."

Hurla was nervous about diving back in but those concerns were alleviated as she held her own all year and wrestled well late in the year against someone that had beaten her several times.

"In league, I was the one that lasted the longest with him," said Hurla. "I was happy with that because I knew I had gotten better throughout the year because the last match with him was better."

Even in eighth grade, Horgan said Hurla showed flashes of what everyone sees today.

"She’s fierce, man," said Horgan. "As tough as they come. She grew up with three older brothers, no choice but to be tough."

Chris was hesitant to see Hurla start wrestling again in eighth grade, especially with the thought of wrestling boys in high school, but with KSHSAA sanctioning girls wrestling as a high school sport it changed things.

"I was tickled about it," said Chris on Hurla's return to the mat. "I was definitely happy."

Winning a state title

Hurla won the school's first-ever girls wrestling state title last year when she beat the No. 1 ranked wrestler in Paola's Kailyn Younger with a second-period pin.

Younger entered the match with a 26-1 record and had just beaten Hurla in the sub-state championship match.

After watching that substate back with last year's coach Brandy Lowe, Hurla said she was going to make Younger wrestle all three periods if she wanted to win the state title.

"I knew going in I had her where I could gas her if I stayed up," said Hurla. "That sub-state match I got caught in the headlock and I knew if I grinded, worked hard and stayed in stance that I could beat her. I went out with the mentality there was no way she would take it in the three periods and I think that really helped me."

 

"It was a blur, to be honest," said Hurla. "All that work we had put in had paid off and I beat her. That one match I had to get that year, it was relieving and the best result it could've been."

Chris said Hurla's state title was the first in the immediate families and recalled watching the match, the pin and Hurla's hand being raised.

"It was very exciting," said Chris on what emotions he felt watching. "I don't know if I have words for it."

With Hurla's oldest brother, Holden, passing away earlier in the year, the win meant more to everyone in Rossville.

"Our oldest son that had worked with her had an influence on her," said Chris. "I think all my kids were wrestling for him last year."

Watching that match was something Horgan will always remember.

"That was an emotional time for our whole team. Two brothers on the boys team, her on the girls team. Her jumping into her dad's arms after that match, that's in here for forever," said Horgan tapping his head. "I'll never forget that. That was a pretty special deal."

Back for more

Coming into this year, in addition to repeating as a state champion, Hurla's goals were to get better on her feet and improve other aspects of her game to set a bigger gap between the other wrestlers in her class.

She's been working since the summer with other wrestlers including a longtime friend and teammate Keera Lacock, who placed fourth in the state last year at 115.

"We hold each other accountable to go hard," said Hurla of Lacock, her practice partner since middle school, "because we know we can do it. We’ve been there and we know what it takes."

Lacock was someone else who  encouraged Hurla to wrestle in the eighth grade after she had convinced her dad to let her wrestle if she could find a partner.

Lacock saw Hurla's talent from a young age just like everyone else.

"She's always been a really good wrestler," said Lacock. "Our brothers both wrestled, we would go to kids club wrestling and wrestle there. She knew what she was doing, I didn't know what I was doing. She's helped me improve a lot, I feel like we push each other a lot."

Lacock said Hurla has the talent, skill and form and that her own relentless effort makes them a good sparring pair to help each other get better.

Although Horgan took over as the girls head coach this year, the boys and girls teams went to several of the same tournaments last year, he was in the coach's corner during her post-season run and the boys and girls practices have been combined since the latter part of last year.

"They work out with the guys, and she doesn’t bat an eye at the stuff we do," said Horgan. "It gets pretty intense in there sometimes. She doesn’t balk a bit. I've known that for years."


"As an athlete, especially with wrestling being mainly a guy sport, I won’t let a guy be better than me just because of someone’s position," said Hurla. "I won’t let it happen. Courtney has helped us with that, he doesn’t let us off the hook because we're females. I really appreciate that, it helps to push and drive me to be better than others."

Horgan said Hurla not only a leader for the girls team but the program overall.

"At the beginning of the year I tell all my teams, 'You don't have to be a senior to be a leader,'" said Horgan. "It can be anybody. It's been cool seeing her, not only as a sophomore but a female stepping into that leadership role. She steps up and barks orders in the room pretty well. That's always been impressive."

Her competitive fire has been around ever since she was born, said Chris.

"If she doesn’t like something, she’ll say it," said Chris. "I guess with all the boys here, if you lose, there will be some words about you. You don't want to lose. She doesn’t like to lose. She wants to win."

When asked where that competitive fire comes from, Hurla says some of it is from wrestling at a young age and some of it is just instinct.

"I've always been competitive whether family games or any type of sport," said Hurla. "I don't like losing."

No comments:

Post a Comment