Sunday, February 14, 2016

Horak Signs With Pittsburgh

From CJ Online 
Not a single tear of disappointment stained the document Tucker Horak signed Wednesday.
With a Pittsburg State banner covering a portion of the Rossville High School trophy case he helped brighten, Horak gladly made things official. The All-State talent will play football for the Gorillas.
“I was really happy with what Pitt State had to offer and I’ll be happy there,” Horak said. “Division II football is not exactly a slouch. It’s going to be tough, and I’m going to have to work anywhere I went. I’m happy with my decision.”
Everyone else should be, too.
Yet we wonder if Horak could have shined at the highest level.
The kid had enough determination to quarterback the Bulldawgs to Class 3A state titles the past two seasons.
Enough talent to become the first player in Kansas high school history to amass 2,000 yards in both rushing and passing in the same season.
Enough desire to swing by on weekends and sit alongside Rossville coaches as they schemed and scouted the next opponent.
“Next fall, when we’re in a Sunday meeting, I’m going to miss him. I’m also going to miss the day-to-day,” Rossville coach Derick Hammes said.
Understandably so. The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Horak grew into one of the hottest prospects to ever play for Rossville.
Just not in major-college circles.
Two such programs exist in-state. One, Kansas, conducted a blitz in which its new staff got into every state high school to stress its involvement. The other, Kansas State, has long built depth with in-state talent it often attracted as grayshirts or preferred walk-ons.
K-State associate head coach Sean Snyder did come calling ... and leveled with Horak.
“At some points during the recruiting process, before Pitt ever made its offer, I was curious as to what (colleges) were waiting for,” Horak said.
“After sitting down with Sean, he explained that he didn’t think my 40 time was fast enough, which is going to be my first goal when I get to Pitt is to get that 40 time down. I wasn’t really mad (major colleges) didn’t come and offer, but just a little bit curious. I think I performed pretty well and I can compete at any level.”
Horak’s father, Terry, graduated from K-State and obviously had that vision of his son contributing for the Wildcats.
“I’d love to see him run out of that tunnel,” Terry said, “but at the end of the day we (Tucker’s mother Wendi graduated from Pitt State, where she played softball) feel like he’s going to the right place. We feel it in our hearts. We feel like others missed out on a great player.”
No wonder. Tucker Horak produced 12,834 total yards for Rossville. That mark ranks sixth all-time nationally. Converted into miles (7.3), it will get you over to Silver Lake and about halfway back.
The skills that contributed to all those yards impressed the Pitt State staff into committing to use Horak as a running back. Another MIAA team, Emporia State, was also a finalist in the recruitment.
“I always got the question, ‘Well, where are we going to play him?’ And Pittsburg State had him pegged. They knew what they wanted him for,” Hammes said.
“He’s good between the tackles, and I think there’s a vision there to give him the ball and get the ball in his hands as many times as they can. I think he’ll make good on it. He has great vision, he’s more powerful than you think and he has the ability to start and stop like nobody else.”
Yet Horak remains humble, realizing grueling workouts await, beginning early this summer.
He leaves behind a legacy at Rossville, along with his state championship teammates.
One of the best moments at the signing ceremony came when teammates lined up in front of Horak, as if in a football formation, to take a group snapshot.
“I think football gave people some new life here,” he said. “My expectations have always been high for Rossville and to see them fall short every year, it was heartbreaking.
“When we got it done, people realized, ‘Wow, we can do this. We can compete with anyone in 3A.’ We did it this past year and I have high expectations for next year. I don’t think they’re going to slow down a beat.”
Not as long as they get after it, just like Horak, day-to-day.’

No comments:

Post a Comment