Saturday, February 18, 2017

Arica Ahlvers--Emporia Gazette Article

When several former ESU volleyball players, on social media, gave the waves that something was horrifically amiss on Thursday, I got uneasy. I couldn’t locate much information for several hours, but I could tell whatever the situation, it was unusually dire.
Now, I was a student at Emporia State from 2006-10. Though I wasn’t immediately attentive toward its athletic programs, there were two I took a quick liking to: volleyball and baseball. As bad as I probably was, I had played both, understood them and ESU had outstanding teams to follow in both cases.
I went to numerous games, including some on the road. Over the years I had gotten to know players, parents, grandparents and other relatives in some cases ... I was part of the family.
So when I got a message from a former volleyball parent around 9:30 on Thursday night, there was no longer uncertainty.

“Did you hear about Arica Shepard?”
My heart, which was already on edge to brace for whatever tragic news would come, sank and shattered almost instantaneously.
Arica (Shepard) Ahlvers was a three-time All-American, four-time All-MIAA player and currently is the only representative of Hornet volleyball whose name resides on a banner in the rafters at White Auditorium.
But I also considered her my friend.
And she is gone.
It had been awhile since we visited. We caught up briefly after the ESU volleyball alumni game in 2015 and on a visit to Allen Fieldhouse for a Hornet men’s exhibition game, I got a message to look up and shared a distant wave, as I was courtside and she, with her family, was almost at the very top.
During her time as the ESU Athletics Marketing Director, there were several visits to her office that revolved around Hornet volleyball, past and present. We discussed coaching philosophies, player roles and skill-sets and a number of other things under the athletics umbrella. She was still learning several of her duties, but often approached her projects with the same fire that helped lead her as a player. From her sophomore season through her senior year, the Hornets were 90-19, ESU’s best three-year stretch in NCAA play. She played in 493 games, tying for the second-highest total ever at Emporia State. Statistically, she is at or near the top of career and single-season marks in most offensive categories including kills, kills per set and digs.
She suffered a blood clot in her brain, a similar fate to Blue Valley football coach Eric Driskell, who experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm Sunday. She was at home, he was speaking to a room full of colleagues, but ultimately the end result was the same.
The memorial service is Friday morning in Topeka, a time I expect will not only be to celebrate her life, but remember her parents, husband and almost 2-year-old daughter and support them with the love she once provided those around her.
Sports often create a distraction from ‘real life,’ from politics, world news, relationships, religion, the whole lot. But entwined in the action, the competition, are people whose lives — more than their performances — can reel things back in and put it all into perspective.
The typical gambit of emotions that surround the mourning process has certainly proven to be a reminder of the mortality we all face. Enjoy the sporting community and the success stories it provides, but also celebrate the people and what they bring to your life outside the field of competition.


No comments:

Post a Comment